Thursday, May 03, 2007

cake: eating it (with monkeys)

Whoopee.

A sock monkey wedding gown.

Maybe a prom dress? You certainly wouldn't wear this to do the laundry.

How fine, how amazing.

Mmm hmm.

Blogger has been eating my posts and my comments elsewhere.

Why do I have a Mac laptop?

I WISH I had a laptop that I could actually use... but no, crippled with one I can barely turn on. Not that I am too good at turning on much of anything, let alone engaging in some sort of relevant activity.

I had a perfectly adequate post ruminating on the sorts of people who are able to carry off "themed" weddings. It was just devoured by MacBlogger. Oh well. I guess that is my literary critic? A technological disconnect.

Well, I get a kick out of carefully planned weddings, especially ones with a theme.

Most specifically:

a sock monkey wedding. This idea delights me. The groom would wear a monkey suit. Guests would be served the lovely monkey cake pictured at right (from Confetti Cakes).

Sock Monkey Dreams is a book from the Red Heel Sock Monkey Shelter. Haven't seen it, but I would like too! A lovely set of wedding photos from a "real" sock monkey ceremony posted at Sadie Lou, a creator/refurbisher of sock monkeys.

No, I am not being sarcastic. I like sock monkeys. Had a most sincere post on this topic.

MacBlogger ate it.

Anyhow, here is a public service announcement.

Well, kinda sorta.

A recipe, one that will heal whatever ails you.

My family's secret to happiness: cake is better than chicken soup.

There is one special cake, that my family made pretty often.

My daddy would whip this up. Mama, most often, or, not infrequently, my sister and/or my brother and/or me. Sometimes a collaboration, sometimes a solitary effort. Always appreciated, by the family. A yummy cake.

This cake is delicious! After a few days, it does NOT get stale, just more flavorful. Very moist, very yummy.

(If you hate raisins or walnuts, just omit them. If you hate oranges, well, then you are hopelessly weird and should not eat this cake. It has vitamin C.)

The cake recipe posted here won the Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off competition in 1950 and Mrs. Wuebel recieved the $25,000 Grand Prize. The contest is still going strong, but now the winner gets a cool one million dollars plus a whole bunch of appliances. A recent winner was Baked Chicken and Spinich Stuffing. Yuck, ingredients include Pillsbury Dunkables Frozen Waffle Sticks with chicken and spinich. I would rather eat cake...

Orange Kiss-Me Cake

Grand Prize Winner by Mrs. Peter Wuebel, Redwood City, California
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size: 1/16 of Recipe
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 90


Cake
1 orange
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup walnuts
2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened, or shortening
2 eggs
Topping
Reserved 1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts


1 . Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan. Squeeze orange, reserving 1/3 cup juice for topping; remove seeds. In blender container, food processor bowl with metal blade or food mill, grind together orange peel and pulp, raisins and 1/3 cup walnuts. Set aside.
2 . Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour and all remaining cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in orange-raisin mixture. Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
3 . Bake at 350°F. for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle reserved 1/3 cup orange juice over warm cake in pan.
4 . In small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in 1/4 cup walnuts; sprinkle over cake. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.

16 comments:

patientanonymous said...

Hey you...finally getting a chance to actually read some blogs instead of obsessively posting about "Life On The Inside" on my own.

A colleague made me a sock monkey as I have a big thing for all primates. I just love them and have a small collection of stuffed ones. She is crafty. I am not.

I was SO touched. If someone takes the time to give me a gift or even make me a gift...wow. Well any gift is good.
PA is always very grateful whenever anyone takes the time to think of her and give her a pressie.

The Laundress said...

Hey PA,

Glad to hear from you and hoping that things are looking up... will pop over for a visit later tonight. Pleased that you are a fellow-monkeyfan too! Not crafty either but awed by those who are...

TL

mcewen said...

Sounds pretty good to me [the cake]. Can't say I'm wild about the sock monkey wedding plan theme, but it's a case of each to there own. I'm confident that a career in personal themed weddings would be a good match.
Cheers

The Laundress said...

Hi there McEwan,

The cake is great. Make one! It is an easy and forgiving recipe too!

I think I got carried away here because I was in a complete snit over the earlier and much better post (the one that got away) disappearing due to coomputer gremlins.

I had a very plain and simple wedding. Time flies, 15 years this fall. There was no "theme". My one splurge was a classic, frothy gown -- cost of which horrified me. Wish I were crafty or creative, would turn it into stuffed monkeys or aprons or something. Begs to be recycled, so wasteful.

Recently attended a dinner party that included a large number of the people who had attended our very small wedding. They were reminiscing and brought back a lot of fun memories. We are all a lot older.

Bankerchick said...

I love the dress! I love sock monkeys. My mom had a friend who made them.

Peter Singer said...

I'm shocked and dismayed that someone who professes such a love for the creatures would support their slaughter, even for a wedding dress. Fur is murder! When is the world going to wake up and realize that primates, who have awareness of their lives and demonostrate morality and suffering, deserve the same rights that humans do. For shame Laundress, for shame.

Spooner Jenkins said...

'cept maybe for possum, nothing goes better with taters than sock monkey. I like 'em smothered in loganberry jam too.

The Laundress said...

Wow, PS and SJ,

Oh I am contrite.

The famous Peter Singer and the even more celebrated Spooner Jenkins, both commenting here and showing amazing proficiency at the adding of links?

Humbled and ashamed. You fellows are right and I appreciate your sharing the direction of your impeccable moral compasses.

Professor Singer. You have persuaded me. All of us who appreciate sock monkeys should be supporting efforts to return them to their natural environment: the laundry room.

Animal liberation indeed.

Here in the upper Midwest, we like our possums served with lingonberry jam, that is a classic Nordic dish. You can buy the jam at any IKEA store and it is also very useful as an adhesive for assembling your furniture.

But sock monkeys? Just a light marinade of beer with onions and sauerkraut, then a dusting with dryer lint: they are ready for the grill. Yum.

Al Gore said...

Unfortunately,there is a solid and still growing body of evidence that the steady rise in global temperature is leading to the endangerment of the sock monkey. Rising temperature has led to the increased need for central air conditioning. This leads to a more constant movement of air through today's modern household air filters. More filtered air means a substantial decrease in the sock monkey's only source of sustenance: The dust bunny. I'm putting together a powerpoint on this.

SeaSpray said...

I just copied and pasted the cake recipe. looks yummy! :)

sock monkeys are cute!

The Laundress said...

Hi Al Gore and Seaspray,

Thanks for visiting here.

Wow, President Gore!
First Professor Singer comments, then Mayor Jenkins -- and now you?

Finally, the sock monkey issue has achieved the stratospheric reach that it deseves! After all, they are our ancestors.

Respectfully, Mr. President Sir, recent research has clearly shown that the excess lint produced from laundering sock monkeys has excellent insulating properties, with highest R-value ever measured.

A great deal of additional information is available over at the Red Heel Shelter:
"After years of giving refuge to stray sock monkeys, the Red Heel Monkey Shelter is opening its doors to the public. Visitors can now catch a glimpse of this endangered species of indigenous American fanciful animal..."

Seaspray, that prize-winning cake never disappoints. But I must steer you toward Mrs. Tiffany’s Recipleases, over at the Monkey Ape Vine newsletter.

Mrs. T's recipe for Pistacio-Ato Alfredo is simply the best recipe ever. Bound to claim the next million dollar Bake-off prize, if she can only be persuaded to include Pillsbury Dunkable Frozen Waffle Sticks in the ingredient list.

Libby said...

Mmmmmm!!!

Libby

Shinga said...

Those look like fine recipes.

Is it wrong of me to wish that I were the sort of person who had the courage to wear a Sock Monkey dress?

Regards - shinga

The Laundress said...

Hello Libby and Shinga,

yep, go make the cake. It is good and healing and fairly-noncaloric (for cake).

Shinga, I would never wear the Sock Monkey Dress either. When I was skinny, was too self-conscious about my razor-edged shoulders and needle-like elbows to wear a sleeveless gown.

Since plumping, too worried about that weird arm flab that lives between the elbow and the shoulderblade.

Arrrgh Can't win.

See, there is a TEENSY TINY window in a person's life when wearing a sock monkey gown is doable. Then just a fantasy.

Ah, but I love fantasy, what about you?

Shinga said...

I have never, in my life, worn a 'posh frock' or anything remotely resembling the sock monkey dress. For most of my life, that has not been for concerns about my figure - just lack of courage.

In the UK, we had a series of programmes that I didn't watch, but know about, called "A week of dressing dangerously" where people dressed in completely unfamililar ways. It usually had a profound affect and effect both on the person and the way in which they related to others and approached various situations.

Never had the courage to do that.

Regards - Shinga

The Laundress said...

Oh Shinga,

Betcha you would look very fine in the monkey dress.

I love the concept of "A week of dressing dangerously". Jealous, British television is much better than American stuff. All we get here is CNN and a strange military show called "Mail Call" plus lots of reruns of "Gilligan's Island".

You and I should both try dressing dangerously. For a week. Could compare notes, I am having a lot of fun thinking about what might be "dangerous" for a Laundress?

Sad but true: my second thought on viewing the sock monkey dress. (first one was "Oh what a sweet gown!")

Second thought was "Hmm, I wonder if the red bits of the monkeys colors will run in the wash? That gown is probably "dry clean only" and therefore out of my serious apparel purchasing consideration...

Seriously,
TL